2019 Conservation Internship for Broadening Access (CIBA) Application Now Open
The Conservation Internship for Broadening Access (CIBA) program is currently accepting applications for the Summer 2019 cycle. CIBA aims to help diversify the field of museum conservation by introducing students to the field who come from varied economic, cultural, social, and educational backgrounds. Students and recent graduates from Minority Serving Institutions (MSIs) of higher education such as Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), Hispanic Serving Institutions (HSIs), Tribal Colleges and Universities (TCUs), and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institutions (AANAPISIs) are encouraged to apply to this program. CIBA Interns will:
- Gain a deeper understanding of museum conservation through multi-disciplinary experiences involving the conservation of objects, paintings, textiles, paper, time-based media, and/or other materials
- Increase their knowledge of advanced technology in the field of museum conservation
- Learn about topics in museum conservation practices, industry standards, and educational requirements through weekly seminars curated by institutional experts
- Hone their research, laboratory, and professional skills through their internship and weekly skill-building seminars.
Support for this program was provided by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation and is administered by the Smithsonian’s Office of Fellowships and Internships (OFI).
APPLICATION DEADLINE: MARCH 14, 2019, 5:00PM EASTERN TIME
2019 Timeline: 10-weeks, from Monday 6/3/19 – Friday 8/9/19. CIBA Interns must be able to be in residence for the entire tenure and will be expected to participate full-time (at least 40 hours/week).
CIBA stipend: To help defray living expenses during the tenure of their internship, CIBA interns will be offered a stipend of $650/week.
Eligibility: Applicants must be U.S. Citizens and currently enrolled in or a recent (12 months or less) graduate of an accredited university or college.
Guided by interests and availability of opportunities, during their internship, each CIBA intern will be placed in the conservation department of a particular Smithsonian unit for the duration of their time at the Smithsonian including:
- Freer-Sackler Galleries of Art (FSGA)
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden (HMSG)
- Museum Conservation Institute (MCI)
- National Museum of African American History and Culture (NMAAHC)
- National Museum of American History (NMAH)
- National Museum of the American Indian (NMAI)
- National Museum of Natural History (NMNH)
- National Portrait Gallery (NPG)
- Smithsonian American Art Museum (SAAM)
For detailed information on this program and how to apply please click here.