Application Open for Spring 2019 Teacher Innovator Institute Internship at NASM
The Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum is looking for an intern in its Education and Public Engagement Department. This exciting internship will focus on the Teacher Innovator Institute (TII), a professional development program at the Museum that welcomes thirty middle school STEAM teachers from across the country each year. Teachers remain with the program for 2-3 years, coming back to the Museum for consecutive summers to build on their practice and continue to work with their cohort. TII strives to incorporate informal education practices and problem-based learning into the middle school STEAM curriculum by using Museum resources to model a variety of techniques, including inquiry learning, object based learning and project based learning. Along with their in-person professional development each summer, teachers will connect via videoconference at least twice a year and create photo journals throughout the school year.
The intern will learn planning and logistics skills as they pertain to the 2018-2019 Teacher Innovator Institute. Interns will engage with the current class of teachers as well as develop skills in preparing application information and planning video-conferences. Intern will also have a hand in designing content for the summer 2019 program and reviewing applications for the program.
- Build collaboration, communication, and logistics skills as well as gain an understanding of museum scheduling, particularly as it applies to special programs and events.
- Learn to work collaboratively to develop an interactive video conference with the 2018 TII cohort.
- Gain knowledge of the program application process.
Major or Academic Background: Ideal applicants have prerequisites in education, museum studies, or museum education.
Location: National Air and Space Museum in Washington, DC or Udvar-Hazy Center in VA Hours: Part time or full time. Some weekend or evening work may be required.
When: Spring 2019. January start date. Number of weeks depend on full-time or part-time.
Stipend: Full-time interns will receive a stipend of $550 per week. Part-time intern stipends will be calculated based on number of hours interning.
Application Deadline: Tuesday, December 18
How to Apply:
You must apply through the Smithsonian Online Academic Appointment (SOLAA) system:
- Create an account at https://solaa.si.edu
- Add a new application
- Select “National Air and Space Museum” under Office/Museum/Research Center.
- Select National Air and Space Museum Academic Year Internship program.
- On Program Choices page, select “Education — Teacher Innovator Institute.”
- Complete and submit application.
If you have any questions about this opportunity or the application process, please email NASMInternships@si.edu