Navigation Menu+

Greenhorn Green Thumb

Posted on Apr 1, 2019 by in The OFI Blog |

Smithsonian Gardens

The following is an excerpt from the 2016 Smithsonian Garden (SG) Spring Newsletter written by SG Intern Ryan Gooch.  You can more learn about the Smithsonian Gardens here.

The best experiences I have had during my time at UC Davis have nearly all involved the UC Davis Arboretum and Public Garden. After arriving as a transfer student, I combined my love of community development and early education at a position as one of the UC Davis Arboretum’s first Co-Coordinators in the Museum Education Learning by Leading team. This gave me the opportunity to share my knowledge of outreach and environmental education with a team of interns. During my time with the program, the Museum Education team planned and conducted the first “Pollinator Discovery Day,” created a new series of informative signs such as the “Arboretum Spotlight” series, which highlighted the efforts and accomplishments of students and volunteers of the Arboretum, and grew the Arboretum in exciting new ways. My work at the Arboretum led me to be chosen as a Garden Scholar at the 2018 Annual American Public Gardens Association Conference. It was there that my desire to work in public garden education was cemented. I can’t wait to take the next step in my journey with the Smithsonian Gardens’ Education and Outreach Team!