Office of Protection Services Internship
Background: Learn from the largest unit at the Smithsonian, the Office of Protection Services (OPS), where our team provides protection and security services, security management and criminal investigations for 19 museums, the National Zoo and nine research facilities. Your internship would be located in Washington, D.C., however OPS provides technical assistance and advisory services to SI bureaus, offices, and facilities located in the greater Washington, D.C. area, New York City and Panama. We serve SI employees and volunteers, and more than 25 million visitors each year.
Learning Objectives: Interns will have varied learning experiences—from technical security to operations support to communications. OPS offers unique learning opportunities from a diverse, knowledgeable and experienced staff, and interns will benefit greatly from a collaborative working environment.
The OPS internship program focuses on practical, hands-on learning. Interns can expect to support OPS through:
- Performing security risk assessments
- Developing project data and managing multiple security databases within OPS
- Helping with hybrid security force management and special event coordination
- Writing content for the OPS internal newsletter
- Serving as a primary photographer within Smithsonian OPS
- Editing and improving materials for the OPS website and other communications tools and resources
Interns may be full time or part time.
Areas of Study: Graphic Design, Communications, Photography, Program Management, Security Management, Project Management
Timeline: 10 weeks
How to Apply: Through SOLAA