Navigation Menu+

Intern Spotlight at Smithsonian Folkways Recordings

Posted on Oct 7, 2019 by in The OFI Blog |

Brownyn Redvers-Lee is a marketing intern at the Smithsonian Institution’s nonprofit record label, Folkways Recordings, which is a part of the Smithsonian Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage.

Bronwyn Redvers-Lee, photographed at Smithsonian Folkways Recordings, Washington D.C. by Erin Scott / Polaris archives

At Folkways Recordings — which records all genres of music, from folk to jazz to hip hop — Redvers-Lee has been editing liner notes of re-released albums, as well as promoting new releases in the press and uploading them to streaming platforms. “Working with streaming is new to me as someone who’s creating content, not just listening to it,” she says. “I’m curating playlists that say something about Folkways’ mission and contemporary life.”

The internship has been the perfect blend of her interests in music and media studies, Redvers-Lee says, enabling her to apply knowledge from courses in musicology, arts management, and St. Olaf’s American Conversations program, such as understanding the role music played during the civil rights movement. She’s also using some of the same skills she deploys in her work-study job.

“I want to go into something in media studies that’s informed by music, and this internship is helping me learn how the two are connected,” she says. “I’ve observed all aspects of the label, from producing and editing to publicity to digital platforms. It’s given me the confidence to apply for jobs across a broad spectrum.”

To read the full article from St. Olaf Magazine’s Piper Center, click here.