Navigation Menu+

Exploring the Origins of Cosmic Rays

Posted on Oct 18, 2019 by in The OFI Blog |

In January 2020, Clemson astrophysics graduate student, Jordan Eagle, will begin a two-year research project at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics (CfA) in Cambridge, Massachusetts, courtesy of a Chandra X-ray Observatory Predoctoral Fellowship, which provides her with funding to complete her doctoral work.

Jordan Eagle was awarded a Chandra X-ray Observatory pre-doctoral fellowship.

Eagle’s objective? To help solve the longstanding question of where cosmic rays come from. Cosmic rays are super fast-moving charged particles that strike the Earth from outside the solar system, and they can cause electronic problems in satellites and other space instruments.

Eagle shares, “I’m excited to be a pre-doctoral fellow because I’ll be completely immersed in research I love, working alongside leading experts and I’ll make even more connections in my field,” she said. She hopes other Clemson students will be inspired to apply for similar fellowship opportunities. “Physics doesn’t come naturally to me,” she said, recalling how she struggled with math and science courses as an undergraduate at Radford University. “A lot of times people think you have to be this innately brilliant person and that’s how all physicists are, but a good work ethic helped me succeed.”

To read the full article, click here.