Navigation Menu+

“Do What Moves You”

Posted on Oct 25, 2019 by in The OFI Blog |

A look inside the hangar at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, VA. Photo credit: Jordan Redinger

With an internship at the National Air and Space Museum (NASM) earlier this year, Smithsonian Intern Jordan Redinger was able to work behind the scenes with the NASM Collection at the Garber Storage Facility, refining his skills in writing condition reports as well as photographing artifacts.

Looking back, Redinger shares that “Working for a Smithsonian has opened many doors for me, making things I never thought would happen for me possible. Moreover, I learned that I can be completely alone in a big city and absolutely thrive. It was a summer of growth.

The biggest takeaway for me, however, will be the words of my photography mentor. During one of our talks, he looked at me and said, ‘Jordan, in life you just gotta do what moves you and hope that one day it will move someone too.’ That stuck with me. This is my last year at Robert Morris University and I fully intend to spend it doing what moves me, what brings me peace and joy, much like what this summer gave me.”

To read the full post about Jordan’s memorable experience working at the Smithsonian and living in Washington, D.C., click here.