Digital Marketing Intern
About Associates: Smithsonian Associates advances the Institution’s mission “to increase and diffuse knowledge” through life-enriching educational and cultural experiences inspired by the Smithsonian’s research and collections for DC-region students, families, and adults, and for learning communities nationwide.
Supports Marketing Dept. by assisting with various digital marketing projects such as:
- Research marketing and social media campaign results, conduct surveys, create presentations, and report findings
- Determine target audiences and build extractions for e-mail campaigns
- Design, copy write, and deploy eCommunications to targeted audiences with a broad array of messaging
- Create promotional and informational content for the Smithsonian Associates Blog, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest accounts
- Generate promotion packets for speakers and partner organizations
- Research and help implement new strategies for expanding social media reach and engagement, as well as promote tickets sales to the millennial demographic
- Additional projects as assigned based on marketing needs and skills of applicant.
- Develop enhanced communication skills for customer relation and marketing
- Become familiar with common eMarketing tools, reporting and best practices that are valuable for future employment
- Gain exposure to a wide variety of real life marketing needs and solutions, as well as educational opportunities
- Practice database management and learning to target campaigns for greater ROI and lower COS, to ensure successful marketing approaches
- Gain experience with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Powerpoint), WordFly, Tessitura (CRM), Google Analytics, Social media platforms (Hootsuite, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest,Wordpress), basic design (Canvas/photoshop).
Candidates should possess:
- Strong writing, organizational and interpersonal skills; impeccable attention to detail
- Multi-tasking skills and ability to adhere to strict deadlines
- Basic facility with computers and technology; basic html knowledge preferred
- A basic knowledge of Photoshop and aesthetic abilities
- Flexibility and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment. College students at the junior, senior and graduate levels studying marketing, communications, music/arts administration or public relations are preferred.
Seasons: Spring (Jan – May), Summer (Jun – Aug) and Fall (Sept – Dec)
Time Commitment: 25-32 hrs/wk; 1 semester
Schedule: Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm; schedule can be flexible
Supervisor: Jeanie Arnold, Social Media and Digital Marketing Specialist
Stipend Support: All Associates internships are unpaid and housing is not provided. College credit may be granted, but must be coordinated in advance with the intern’s university/college.
Location: S. Dillon Ripley Center, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C.
To be considered in the first round of applications, please submit your materials by the dates below:
Fall Positions: July 1
Spring Positions: October 1
Summer Positions: February 1
Applications received after these dates will be considered on an opportunity available basis.